We would like to invite you to a series of participatory gatherings held online – hosted by the Refugee Solidarity Summit & guests from the refugee solidarity & support network.
The first of these sessions is called Towards Transformative Action – What could healthy organising look like? and for this we invite reflections and dialogue from participants around the following question:
What does healthy and successful grassroots organising look and feel like now, in the midst of the pandemic, at a time when structural and violent racism and inequality have been laid bare?
This will be a reflective participatory session, hosted by the summit organisers Pru, Maddie and Laura, joined by guests who are active across the refugee support and solidarity network. It will be a chance for listening, sharing and reconnecting with others in the network.
Our intentions with these sessions are to:
- Reconnect the network in a safe space .
- Celebrate our successes and share our challenges.
- Invite a reflection on how we can begin to move beyond crisis response towards transformative approaches.
- Address why there is a lack of representation of people with lived experience in this work.
- Create a space for discussion and reflective learning, which helps us better to understand the successes, concerns and intentions of the network.
- Develop practices that help us to work more collectively in more generative and nourishing ways, centering on people with lived experience.
- Ensure that our work challenges wider societal inequity and systemic racism.
- Find strength in the relevance of our work and galvanise our shared commitment to shaping equitable and resilient approaches to refugee support and solidarity .
This first session will be repeated across 3 dates to allow for maximum participation. Following this will be a one off summary session on the 25th February, where participants can re-convene to share and cross pollinate ideas with partciapnts from other session groups . Please choose one of the dates below when booking:
Saturday 13th February 14:00-16:00 GMT
Tuesday 16th February 19:00-21:00 GMT
Thursday 18th February 19:00-21:00 GMT
Tickets available here.
Please only book the final session if you have already attended one of the previous sessions above as it is a follow up session. This final session ticket will be available to book on the 16th February.
Thursday 25th February 19:00-21:00 GMT
Spread the word!
Please share this communication on social media and with anyone who you think would be interested in being a part of this conversation.
We are looking forward to seeing you there!
Pru, Laura and Maddie – Refugee Solidarity Summit Team
Please get in touch if you have any questions email@example.com
- Who can attend? These initial sessions are aimed at people who are interested in discussing the question posed above, in the context of the refugee support and solidarity and our summit themes ( Detailed above ).
- What is this session for? This is a reflective check-in , rather than a program design session. There will be opportunities in the near future to contribute to our future events via an open calls for submission process.
- What are the technical requirements? These online sessions are hosted on Eventbrite using Zoom. You will need to download appropriate software before the event and have Zoom installed on your commuter or mobile device to participate in this session.
- How do I book ? Booking is via Eventbrite. Places are limited as we want to go deep rather than wide in this first session. Each session will allow for a maximum of 30 people to ensure everyone has the ability to contribute. There are a various different ticket types available; Free tickets and donation tickets as well as a number reserved exclusively for people with personal experience – please get in touch if you would like one of these – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What if I cannot attend after all? If you cannot make your chosen session please cancel your booking in Eventbrite to allow someone else to use the space instead.
- Are there other ways to contribute? If you are unable to attend, or would prefer to communicate with us in another manner and share your responses to the above question please contact us by email email@example.com or by Whatsapp message or voice note + 447506663089
- Privacy. The session will be hosted on Zoom and recording of the sessions will be made and will be available for participants after each meeting. They will not be made publicly available. If you are unable to attend the meeting but would like to receive audio from the recordings please get in touch using the email details listed in this email.